All Partners and office managers are full members of the National Association of Estate Agents and have completed the technical award for residential lettings to ensure consistently high levels of knowledge and competence. All other staff undergo continuous training courses and will eventually also sit the technical award.

Once we have found a suitable tenant for your property, we will notify you by telephone. We can arrange for you to meet them in advance, should you wish. Once you have agreed you would like them to move in to your property we carry out a number of standard checks to ensure they are reliable, can afford the rent, and don’t have County Court Judgements or bad credit history.

We will prepare an approved Tenancy Agreement, with appropriate additional clauses. We also issue the relevant legal notices, at the correct time.

As a landlord you have a statutory responsibility for the upkeep of your property in accordance with Section 11 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985. We deal with day to day repairs to the property up to £150, and will deduct invoice payments from your account. Any maintenance work required over £200 will always require your authorisation before we can arrange for work to be carried out. We do, however, reserve the right to use our own discretion in the event of an emergency. We provide tenants with a 24 hour/365 days help line in the event of an emergency.

It is the landlord’s responsibility to ensure the property to be let is done so safely. There are three statutory regulations that must be satisfied before a property is let. These include:

  • Low Voltage Electrical Equipment Safety Regulation 1989 & 1994 Amendment
  • Gas Safety (Installations and Use) Safety Regulation 1994 & 1998 Amendment
  • The Fire and Furnishings (Fire Safety) Regulation 1988 & 1993 Amendment
  • The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections, England and Wales) Regulations 2007 SI 2007 / 991

You must acknowledge that the property has a current Energy Performance Certificate ( EPC ), which must be supplied to the agent prior to the property being advertised to let.

We can arrange for fully qualified engineers to carry out all the above checks on your behalf if you wish.

Smoke Alarms Building Regulations 1991. All properties built since June 1992 must have interlinked mains-connected smoke detectors / alarms on each floor of the property. Older properties should be fitted with at least 2 standard smoke detectors/alarms. Smoke alarms must be checked regularly to ensure that they are in full working order. We are able to arrange this for you.

Overseas landlords may be eligible to tax exemption on full rental income; you should contact the Inland Revenue Office to determine if you are eligible. If you are then we will need you to provide us with a tax exemption certificate so that full rental income can be credited to you. However, if an Inland Revenue Tax Exemptions Certificate is not given we will retain all net tax on income and pass this onto the Inland Revenue offices on a quarterly basis, as required by law.

We are also obliged to provide an annual return of information to the Inland Revenue for all overseas landlords. Overseas landlords are also requested to appoint a U.K. representative to deal with all tax correspondence. A tax certificate will be issued to overseas landlords by the 5th July as evidence for any tax paid to the Inland Revenue on your behalf.

If you are not used to dealing with the Inland Revenue Office, we strongly recommend using our accounts option to complete personal tax returns, through our associated chartered and certified accountants, so you have total peace of mind. However you may employ you’re own certified accountant.

If you have a property that you would like to let with us, please apply now for a starter pack from us


We are able to provide our landlords with a comprehensive rent guarantee and legal protection policy for complete peace of mind.


Through our association with Homelet, we are able to provide you with Leal Expenses & Rent Guarantee (subject to terms and conditions). This will enable you to protect your rental income with a special legal expenses and rent guarantee . This policy will help evict non paying tenants while the cover protects the rental income. They will even pay up to 50% of the rent for 3 months between the successful eviction and finding new tenants. All products are tailor made to suit the individual.


Once we have provided you with our initial advice and you have decided to use Hamilton Smith Lettings to let your property, you need to

  • Confirm in writing that you wish us to proceed and market your property by signing Terms and conditions.
  • Return the completed management registration form
  • Provide us with 2 sets of keys (one for the tenant, the other to be held by Hamilton Smith Lettings)
  • Provide us with proof of ownership for the property
  • Advise us of the FULL names of the proposed landlord(s), current address(s), contact telephone number(s) and email address(s)
  • Advise the current utility suppliers

To get started, register your details by clicking the Get Starter Pack link above, or by visiting our Starter Pack application page


If you would like advice on finding the right ‘Buy to Let’ Mortgage, we would be more than happy to put you in touch with an advisor who can help.


Fees are due and payable immediately on a tenant entering into a tenancy agreement with the Landlord. Hamilton Smith Lettings & Property Management will deduct such fees and commission due from rent monies collected.


pdfFees To Landlords Display.pdf3.33 MB